Hello

Hello everyone.
I have been a carer for my hubs for the past ten years.

Hi Tiasmum … welcome to the forum.

Extremely quiet as I type … and not just due to the weather.

How can we be of assistance ?

You name it , we’ll try our best to answer it.

The forum is yours.

Others will be along to extend their welcomes.

Hello Chris.
Thank you for your lovely welcome.
A friend suggested that I join, I’m not sure that I need anything at the minute.
My hubs has an appointment for a CT scan on the 10th, I just may need scraping up after that!

Your welcome.

Mmmm … like buying a book and not peaking inside ?

Plenty of chapters on finances and caring support … or lack thereof being more apt.

Social area can be a comfort … or not … depending on one’s interests ( A cat lover perhaps ? ) and financial resources
… what some do , others can only dream of.

Yours to explore … even if you were a Greenham Common veteran … there’s plenty around to get your teeth into.

A blank canvas … yours to paint ?

Hi Tiasmum,
welcome to the forum, if you aren’t after advice etc then why not have a look at the Members section and fun and games sections.

You might also be able to offer some advice to folk posting in the All about caring section and Tips and Practical section.

If you feel like sharing, why does your hubby need care?

Melly1

Welcome Tiasmum

As Melly said, we are not just about giving advice - we understand that caring can sometimes get a bit lonely, and I find the site great for a bit of companionship and support too.

Any problems finding your way around, just ask.

My hubs s has had Rheumatoid arthritis for over 30 years, he is now 76. His mobility is very limited. He had a stroke approximately 3 years ago and now has limited vision.
Since January he has had a low blood count, iron tablets . They kept his blood from dropping further. Since stopping , his bloods have fallen. He has lost loads of weight, his appetite is almost non existent. He has fortisips and small shot type drinks. His GP is really concerned, hence the scan.
I hope that this is ok to post?
Oh and yes, I love cats. We can’t have another one because hubs may tread on it.

Welcome to the forum,

I’m sure you are really worried about your husband and the results of the scan. Nothing you can do will change the results, whatever they are, all you can do is be there to support your husband as best you can on this journey.

Are you getting any help from Social Services?

Hello

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck with husband’s CT scan. Are you able to get any time for you? Really important to take care of yourself if you can.

Hi Tiasmum

Welcome to the forum. The members are really supportive and welcoming here. I hope you find the support you need.

We don’t get any help from Social Services.
We have had a lot of support from the District Nurses, they come in three times a week to re-dress a pressure sore. We also have a supportive Dietician, she has sent a referral to the OT to see if they can offer any help. Our GP calls in to see him.
I don’t get a lot of spare time for me, I take our five year old granddaughter to school, I also pick her up. She brings a brightness when she comes in and she is grandads girl! Mum and dad, like other couples, have to work to keep afloat.
I am very lucky, hubs never grumbles, never complains. He listens to his audio books and snoozes. He has always been easy to be around.

__

We don’t get any help from Social Services.

Bugle call again for those ugly twin sisters …NEEDS and CARER assessments :

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/\

Carer's assessment | Carers UK

Usual forum health warnings … waiting times … a real post code lottery out there.

In addition , what may exist on paper may not also exist in reality.

Threads / forum postings galore on these two … and the continuing LA cutbacks nationwide.

I am new to this. I am caring for my adult son who has depression. I feel unable to make a positive impact any more and I’m looking for ideas and advice on how to keep going.

Perhaps a new thread , Dom ?

If further replies come in to the original poster , your posting may get buried.

Sorry
Still trying to find my way round.

No problem.

I still am … after close to 8,000 postings.

Section … NEW TO THE FORUM … recommended.

Hello all, thank you for your replies.
I don’t mean post and run. Everything seems to on hold until we get the scan results.

Xx

When you are waiting for results, time seems to go so slowly.

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Caring can be so very lonely at times and we do understand.

I am in a similar situation. My husband weighs 8st 7-8st10 - he has lost over 3 stones in the last couple of years. He too survives on the Fortisips. He even has pressure sores and the nurses come and visit once a week now due to his non compliance re accepting the advice given!

I do know how hard it is waiting for results. My husband has had various scans but all they show is the oesteoarthitus which causes him a lot of pain moving about - but of course, he needs to move with regard to the pressure sores.

BTW I love cats too and show and very very occasionally breed Norwegian Forest Cats. They are the reason I get up in the morning.

Hello,Tia,welcome aboard