Hallo

Hallo, while I joined last year I spend more time reading the forum than joining in so thought it about time I said hallo.
I am a full time carer for my elderly immobile mother, I don`t live with her but she needs someone with her until bedtime as she forgets she cannot walk and tries to get up so is unsafe on her own. Like most unpaid cares I was pretty much thrown into this situation and have at times floundered,
I feel guilty as I read other carers situations which are often far worse but I get just so tired sometimes and feel alone despite having a lovely family, I mean alone with authorities who just seem to expect me to be here all the time, which to be fair I am but its the expectation that annoys me and makes me feel like I am not allowed a life of my own. I am sure you are all familiar with that feeling. Anyway its nice to finally say hallo.

Hi Torchie,

Welcome to the forum! I hope that you have found time reading the forum useful!

You’re not alone, we are sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and offer support. Caring can be very lonely and the pandemic has made caring responsibilities challenging as many carers have been socially restricted and unable to attend social groups etc. Carers UK host weekly virtual online chats which is a great place to just talk over a nice cuppa. If you would like to attend these, please sign up using the following link:
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/online-meetups

I’m sorry to hear that your local authorities have made you feel alone and taken for granted. If you are an unpaid carer, Carers UK can provide some guidance on topics surrounding:
Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role, services available to carers and the people you care for and how to complain effectively and challenge decisions

Best Wishes,

Lucy.

Hi Torchie,

Just wanted to check how you are and to follow up on my initial message I wrote to you a few weeks ago. I hope that the Carers UK Forum is helpful and beneficial to you and your situation. Please leave a message to let me know how you are getting on.

Best Wishes

Lucy.