Furlough and work related expenses

Hi, I have just received a call from DWP to explain that during time I was furloughed from work, I cannot reduce my income for carers allowance with expenses such as child care etc because they are not work related (due to the furlough).
I would imagine this effects almost anyone who earns more than £128 a week and gets carers allowance.
Is this true?
Is there anything to do about it?

Ouch! That’s an interesting question Fatlani.

I think that is a question for the helpline or Martin Lewis.

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com

Melly1

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/coronavirus-guidance/carer’s-allowance-can-you-claim#:~:text=Furlough%20pay%20is%20taken%20into,meet%20the%20other%20eligibility%20criteria).

From the above web site …

Also, some people have been ‘furloughed’ from their job under the coronavirus job retention scheme, and are being paid less than they normally would. Furlough pay is taken into account for the earnings calculation, but if the amount means you are now getting less than the £128 a week threshold, you can claim carer’s allowance (provided you meet the other eligibility criteria).

I called the helpline who told me that they hadnt heard of this before and referred me to free legal advice. I called the legal advice and they told me that you can’t get working tax credit together with carers and I would be better off getting WTC. I explained that I get both and they didnt have the answer. I was sure hundreds if not thousands of people have the same problem

regarding the piece in litrg, my income indeed went down due to furlough however I am still earning too much if my childcare expenses are not deducted

As has been suggested by Melly1 you need to ask those in the know.

As mentioned I spoke to the adviceline on the phone and they did not know. As to asking Martin Lewis, I do not know of any way to reach him. On the website they say he does not answer questions as he has too many

Try Citizens Advice.