Carers allowance and Childcare

Hello everyone

I’m new around here and sorry I can’t find the answer on the search.

Firstly, does anyone know the general time turnaround these days when applying for carers allowance please? It’s been about 3 and a half weeks and i’ve not heard anything yet.

Secondly, this seems a grey area. I am on Universal Credit. My partner had a stroke in Dec which has caused him to not be able to work at the moment (I work part time). We are waiting or him to have a work capability assessment (sent the forms back in Feb) and still waiting like a lot of people. I think I read somewhere if one of us is in receipt of carers allowance that we are able to claim help with childcare costs. Does anyone know please?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello there.

Welcome to the forum

I’d suggest you ring our helpline on 0808 808 7777 Mon- Fri 9am - 6pm and they’ll be able to assist you with your carers allowance and child care cost question.

It might also be helpful to download our ‘Looking after someone’ guide from our support page and check what kind of practical help you’re entitled to for your Partner’s care:

Best wishes

Ingrid

Prior to CoronaVirus, three weeks would have been about the norm, now, no-one knows.