Furlough and redundancy applying for CA

Hi,

My sister is caring for my Dad who receives AA at the highest rate. She is currently furloughed from work where she is employed 16 hours per week. It is likely that she will be made redundant over the next couple of months when her employer starts picking up the bill.

Could I ask for advice whether it would be a good time to claim carers allowance now ahead of redundancy? I understand her claim would be nilled effectively but she could just do a change of circus when made redundant and presumably start receiving the allowance?

She feels she will struggle to find suitable work to fit with caring arrangements when her current work ends.

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,
It sounds like a plan, but whether it would be a quicker route to actually receiving payment if/when she is made redundant, I don’t know.

You could contact the helpline

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1