Off work sick can I claim ssp and carers allowance

I have claimed carers allowance for a number of years and also work 12 hours a week. I’m currently off work with a back issue but intend to return at the earliest opportunity. My employer has written to me today stating that they won’t pay me sick pay as I’m under the £118 per week limit ( I earn approx £104 per week)
My understanding is that my NI contributions are up to date as I claim CA. Can I claim some sort of SSP as well as my CA? If so would this be based on my household income as my husband works long hours in order to provide for our family and therefore has a relatively high income.
Thank you in advance.

Hi Paula, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your back issue. Your query sounds like something our Advice team can help with so I have passed it onto them and I will let you know once I have heard back. Please note, that it can take up to seven days.
Best wishes,

Hi Paula, I’ve just had a brief chat with my colleague from the Advice team and it has been brought to my attention that you’ve contacted them already. They will be in touch with an answer soon.

Hi, my situation is very similar and would appreciate any information or help on this matter. I have just broken my ankle and will be off work for a number of weeks. I’m currently full time carer to my mam and part time work. So as you can see I am under the threshold for ssp. I am currently part time furlough but this will end the beginning of Nov. My employer doesn’t think I am able to get ssp. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Hello June

Welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve broken your ankle June, I hope you recover quickly.

Please give our helpline on 0808 808 7777 Mon- Fri 9am - 6pm and they’ll be able to help you with your situation.

It might also be helpful to download our ‘Looking after someone’ guide from our support page and check what kind of practical help you’re entitled to.

take care, get well soon