Feeling isolated and looking for friends

My name is sharon and myself and my husband graham care for my 25 year old son who has autism and other disabilities. Due to his needs we don’t really have a social life and have realised that we need some new friends , especially ones who understand and realise the needs of caring.
We are not asking to interfere in anyone’s life just to make friends and chat and maybe Meet up now and then , so we can get out and also chat and have a small social life and also maybe share our experiences and life with others .
We live in the stoke on trent area .

I doubt that I’m the right person to fulfil that, I have some very nice acquaintances, but don’t feel the need for friends, (been let down by too many in the distant past), and I’m always happy in my own company.

It might help if you give an approximate location in case someone is interested and nearby.

Hi sharon

Welcome

I have two boys one with learning disabilities and one with autism.
It is hard to have a social life isn’t it!

There may be a local support group too near you. If not check out some facebook pages for local groups or maybe start one .

We can all feel in the same boat - isolated.
This forum has already been a great help to me.

https://www.carersfirst.com/

https://www.thecarershub.co.uk/

Hello and welcome!

Why not see if you can find any carer support groups in your area? There should be at least one. You can talk about your concerns and make some new friends that way. What are your hobbies and interests?

I care for a family member with a physical impairment. It is hard, isn’t it?

Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum.

My son has severe learning difficulties, due to a brain injury at birth. When he was 16, my health meant he had to become a boarder at school, then went to a residential farm college. After a short time in residential care, he now lives in his own flat with carer support.

I know it’s tough to think about, but one day your son will have to manage without you. How much support is he getting from Social Services? at the moment. Does he have a Needs Assessment which is less than a year old, you should have a copy? When did you last have a Carers Assessment?

In my area, the New Forest, a number of us are at the beginning of a project which will give parents a right to retire, because it is much better for us to support our children when they leave the family home, than it to happen at a crisis point.

How are you today?

Hi Sharon. You could try your local library or your local Community Centre. They have lots of events held there where you can meet new people and make friends. The library will have a notice board and possibly leaflets about local activities.
Let us know how you get on!