Hi! I’m new here!

Hi everyone. My name is Sharon and I currently care for my husband, who is registered blind and has poor general health and also for my 45 year old stepson who lives with us and has learning difficulties.
I’m exhausted :crazy_face: and have reached out to social services for support with my stepson but I’m curious to know if there is a befriending service I could avail of for the hubster. He would really like to go out and about without me at times, his mobility isn’t great and he can only manage short walks. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and hearing your stories

Welcome to the forum. My son has SLD, now 42. He lives in his own flat with carer support.
What support does your son currently have from Social Services?

hello Sharon.

Until last Xmas I was my very elderly Mum’s carer. My adult daughter has learning difficulties and autism. She moved out a few months ago to live with her boyfriend but still needs an awful lot of support.

Thinking about your husband, could you get in touch with the RNIB and see whether they have volunteers who could accompany him on trips out.

Does your stepson have a social worker and are there any groups he could attend or places he could volunteer like parks, gardens or Day Centres.

I imagine you are very exhausted so you do need to get help for both of them so you can carry on yet still get some time for yourself.

Hi Sharon,
Welcome to the forum!
You’re not alone, we are sure that many on here will understand exactly how you feel and offer support. The Carers UK platform is a great way to reach out to others for advice and support.

Carers UK can provide information and guidance to unpaid carers. This covers a range of subjects including:
Benefits and financial support
Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
Services available to carers and the people you care for

Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email advice@carersuk.org

I hope that you find some of the information useful to your circumstances.

Best wishes


Hi Sharon and welcome,

In addition to the RNIB, you could also try SENSE.