Covid vaccine priority

Have just heard that Carers who get Carers allowance will be prioritised for the vaccine. But they describe it as main carers.

Anyone know what happens when a couple are caring for two people and only one person gers carers allowance?

Surely it should be based on being registered as a carer with the GP as then it encompasses all carers.

NOT AGAIN!!!

How many times do we have to be forgotten about in government directives before someone realises that there are pensioner carers who do NOT get Carers Allowance but may be caring for 168 hours a week!!

I’m beginning to get really depressed about my status as a non person.

My needs as a carer are supposed to be respected, I’m supposed to have a choice about when I do, and do not care for my son. Really important because of my health issues.
SSD never want to do what I want, but I’m repeatedly left with no alternative to care every time there’s a muck up!

Phase 1 – direct prevention of mortality and supporting the NHS and social care system
JCVI advises that the first priorities for the COVID-19 vaccination programme should be the prevention of mortality and the maintenance of the health and social care systems. As the risk of mortality from COVID-19 increases with age, prioritisation is primarily based on age. The order of priority for each group in the population corresponds with data on the number of individuals who would need to be vaccinated to prevent one death, estimated from UK data obtained from March to June 2020 (see reference 3):

residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
all those 75 years of age and over
all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals[footnote 1]
all those 65 years of age and over
all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality[footnote 3]
all those 60 years of age and over
all those 55 years of age and over
all those 50 years of age and over

Click on all individuals aged 16 years (footnote2)

and this comes up

This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance,

or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill. :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

Thanks for the info sunnydisposition.

Is there any information on how they will identify Carers, I don’t receive any carers allowance as I also work full time.
I am registered with the GP surgery as carers for my parents but is there anything else I can do to make sure I am not missed.

Thanks

When the person you care for gets the call/letter. You can then request to attend the appointment as the same time. Stating as you have said

YOU CARE FOR YOUR PARENTS

i am a full time disabled carer for my wife but a bit confused where we come into this list of priorities for the COVID-19 vaccination programme as we are both under 75 but both have issues with poor health and extremely vulnerable

so with this all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

all individuals aged 16 years[footnote 2] to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality

so would we come into cat 4 or cat 6 of vaccination programme

thanks for your advice

Useful to know, my father 91 and mother 71 so my father should be quite imminent so hopefully I can do this and get it sorted, will put my mind at rest slightly knowing we’ve all had it, hopefully as Boris said by Mid February.

The GP surgery weren’t even aware of the change to include carers so hopefully the people I contact for the appointment are more well informed.

All correspondence for the time of your vaccine with come from the NHS i.e. your G.P. So I guess G.P. practises will decide on the information they hold on you and your wife. Which one of you goes first the other one can go at the same time.

It’s very much a waiting game. Lets hope the role out gets on the way and gathers momentum.

Yes quote the Government web site information on the link above.

I’m worried about my brother getting the vaccine, he’s on the ECV list but getting the flu jab this year was impossible and I don’t know how to rectify it to make sure he isn’t missed out for the coronavirus vaccine when it’s his turn. Our GP wasn’t dealing with flu this year so kept referring you to the local NHS board but they just referred you back to the GP. The NHS and (I’m assuming the GP) are aware of his condition as he received a letter from the NHS in November saying that they know there’s a delay but he would receive a letter with an appointment in a few weeks for himself and any household contacts to receive a flu jab, it’s now January and it still hasn’t arrived. He’s also been getting all the shielding letters. I managed to get one by going to a pharmacy a few miles away but definitely felt that they didn’t quite believe me being eligible, maybe because i’m under 30?

I’m totally confused. I received a letter this morning about Covid vaccine priority. It indicates that “unpaid carers” will have priority but I don’t know what classes as an “unpaid” carer (I’m not on a salary but I do get Carers Allowance).

I telephoned the Covid helpline to ask them and the guy didn’t have a clue!

From reading this thread I see someone else has mentioned that people in receipt of Carer’s Allowance will get priority?

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Many thanks

Read the attached link to the Government web site and quote…

This also includes those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill. :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/press-releases/carers-uk-welcomes-new-jcvi-advice-which-includes-unpaid-carers-in-the-vaccination-priority-list

Carers UK has welcomed the inclusion of unpaid carers in the publication of new COVID vaccination advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) published yesterday (30.12.2020). This advice recommends that carers who are in receipt of Carer’s Allowance or are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer contracted COVID should be included in Priority 6 alongside people with underlying conditions.

I’m getting really concerned about this now. I’m the main (only) carer for my 85 year old Mum who has dementia. She lives alone but I visit her every day to help with housework, shopping, paperwork etc. Basically she completely relies on me now - there are no other family members locally and she only has a couple of friends who are also both very elderly.
I also work part time and don’t get Carers Allowance.
I can see that unpaid carers can now have the vaccine as one of the priority groups, but how does this work in practice? I live a few miles away from Mum, and am registered with a different GP surgery.
How can I make sure that I get priority for the vaccine, as I assume that I won’t be able to have mine at the same time as she does as I am not the ‘responsibility’ of her GP?

Just registered as Mum’s carer at her G.P.'S. Ideally, Mum would normally give her consent. However, as she has dementia I’m sure her G.P. would be fine with it.

This is great news. Thanks for sharing. I am not eligible for carers allowance, due to income. However I did register for Carers credit years ago to be recorded in the system and notified our GP.

From what I have read, I will thus be in the priority 6 group, so might not get my vaccine at the same time as my parents. I did get the flu jab at the same time this year. So will just have to wait and see.

It would be interesting to hear from carers that get vaccinated to hear when they get it.

We live in England on the border with Wales and have a welsh GP. So vaccination is being done under welsh timescales. The English side where we live, seem to be getting their vaccines much quicker.

My aunt whose nearly 101 has had both her covid injections now . She has carers but I really am her main carer as I shop, clean, do her washing buy essentials take her out , talk read play cards with her, cut, perm her hair In general her mainstay.
I know carers will get the vaccine soon but not sure about myself
She comes under Wandsworth council and I come under kingston , I get carers allowance and my doctor know I am a carer is there anything else I should do? Thank you

Ideally, should have been vaccinated at the same time. Get on to your G.P.

It would be better to be also registered under you Aunt’s G.P. as her carer.