Communication between carer and caree

Acting on a tip from here, my wife and I are using a wireless doorbell so that she may summon me when needed. My wife has the bell-push thing and I have the chime with me. Works well most of the time, but sometimes I put the chime down and go elsewhere in the house without it. (Not deliberately!) If it is in my trouser pocket, that sometimes interferes with the volume control when I sit or bend down and I don’t hear it.

The upshot is that now and again my lady is desperately pressing the button and the genie does not appear. Apart from putting the chime in a small bag and putting it round my neck, does anybody out there have another solution to this problem?

Jokingly , a social worker offered mother a bugle some 20 odd years ago … trouble was , mother did not
appreciate that said SW was joking !

I would suggest more practical responses from other forum members than an almost blind Internet search.

Having said that , disability related forums … I’ll have a trawl through if needed !

( I assume a buzzer with a 1,000 volt charge at the other end is off the shopping list ? )

#############################################################################################

ps. Respite care / Needs and Carer assessments … all now sorted satisfactory ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/respite-35142?p=394883#p394883

It maybe depends on how large your house is: I use the same system but with two receivers, one is permanently in the kitchen and the other is in my garagio. I can hear the one in the kitchen from anywhere in our bungalow, in the garage I can obviously hear the one that’s in there, (although I can’t respond as quickly if I’m throwing pots or glazing them). If I’m hanging out the washing I can hear both of them, if I’m going to be anywhere else in the garden or out the front I just tell her she’ll have to phone me if she needs me.

Two sets with two receivers in each will surely cover most normal houses: you’d have to research if they’ll operate at the same frequency so that one button rings all four receivers.

A simple whistle might be another idea.

I have seen similar devices with a belt clip but also one with a few receivers, one for upstairs , one for downstairs, one for the garage etc, about £20.00.

Walkie talkies another possibility, myself and my caree found useful for a big supermarket or going around a big trade fair, can easily communicate. Where are you I am by the fruit and veg etc.

Another solution we used to use in a 3 layered house, my wife used to use her mobile to phone the house phone, calls were free to home. It had programmable ring tones, when you hear the particular ring tone you know your wife is calling.

I will have a look maybe a few more solutions

I was also going to suggest one with multiple receivers ! I think the most I’ve seen is 3 - you could place them at different strategic points around the house (rather than trying to remember to carry one with you all the time ) so that you should be able to hear one or other of them no matter where you are.

Thank you for your responses. I like the idea of two or three receivers - either would be a big improvement - so I will look into that and see what is available. I suppose I am getting absent-minded, in that I will decide to go upstairs for whatever, something that takes just a minute, and while I am up there something else occurs to me - so I deal with that and forget the original purpose of my trek upstairs. Which means I am missing for longer than intended and the chime isn’t with me. And that is usually when my wife needs me.

My wife may like a whistle, but probably hasn’t the puff any more. I don’t think I’ll mention that one.

We have hands-free telephones, one downstairs and the second upstairs, so that may be worth looking into - must confess that never occurred to me. Although my wife isn’t good at the moment with telephones, I’m afraid, whereas the bell push is simple and easy.

My thanks to all you.

Well, that didn’t take long. I have just found and ordered a wireless doorbell chime set which includes two bell pushes and three chimes. So sorted for upstairs, downstairs and the garage And the chimes plug in, so I don’t need to worry about batteries running down. Didn’t know they existed until I put my enquiry on this forum. What a team!

Thank you.

__

What a team! >

Can’t be the forum team … we got relegated last season !