Any wristband alert devices?

Hi Guys,

Hope you’re all well!

My mum had a stroke a year back and has been on the road to recovery for a while - some weakness but all in all not too bad. Lately however her hip has dislocated and is causing her a lot of issues getting around (she has a belt on holding it in place until an operation). My dad is around the house mostly but does go out to his garage to tinker or out for a bike ride.

I’m wondering, is there like a pair of wristbands they could wear so if mum falls she can press it and it’ll alert dads wristband he needs to come back to the house?

Thanks,
Grant

Hi Grant,

there is information here https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/technology-and-equipment/tech-for-you

Melly1

Thanks Melly that’s a great place to start! So from the sounds of it I’m looking for a Personal Alarm, however the ones I’ve found online seem to call a help centre or private firm. Does anybody know of one that simply alerts a carer? Ideally on their own wrist band so they can carry it around easily. Thanks so much for any help!

Grant,

not all contact a call centre e.g. https://www.personalalarms.org/product/suresafe-alarms-1-pendant-1-wristwatch-combo/

Melly1

A cheap (non smart )mobile phone can be set to fast dial. All she has to do is press a single button and other mobile will ring.
My wife and I had one each to warn each other by a single button press

You could also try a wireless door bell - you keep the half that rings and your wife has the bell push which she can use when she needs you (the bell push is small enough to tuck into a pocket).

Something like this

We have Lifeline and they are really good. We’ve only needed them once for a real emergency (mostly it’s mum hitting the button by mistake) but they answer instantly and are really lovely. Recently we had a power cut and they called because they weren’t getting a signal, it’s expensive but, I think, worth it.

Lifelines are usually available from the council at minimal charge. Well worth it for reassurance, so the carer knows their carer can always call for help.