Alert device so my wife can call if i.m needed

Hello, it’s taken me some time to pluck up courage to ask for help/advice, I’m 78 and carer for my wife who is 73, she has a lot of issues such as Parkinson’s, Arthritis (both Rheumatoid & Osteo) heart problems, digestive problems, quite a list and an even bigger medicines list, i.m trying to find a simple alert device so she can alert me when she need help, we did have a cheap one pendant button and two receivers but when needed they didn’t work, is there one that she can wear on a pendant or wrist worn and the same receiver for me, most i.ve seen are bulky which makes it a little difficult to keep on me, ,i need one that’s reliable and lets me know when battery’s are low, most I’ve seen are either cheap or involve signing up to a yearly contract, also thinking about asking our local council for a carer assessment as my physical health is getting worse, anyone had one of these? what’s involved? any help or advice please, regards Ian

Hi @IAN_78, welcome to the forum. Normally the carers assessment is yes or no questions and someone from social service should visit. It sounds worst than it is. As for something to alert you if your wife need help might be alarm systems that does go through to a call centre where they can alert you. There might be other equipment out there but at a cost. Maybe something like a air horn or a large bell might be worth using?

1 Like

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. There are a range of options, now collectively called “assistive technology”. Ask your council Social Service to visit your wife for a Needs Assessment, and a Carers Assessment for you. They can then give you a few options, aids are usually free. Is your wife claiming any disability benefits?

Hello @IAN_78 welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

A low cost, low tech solution could be a wireless (battery operated) doorbell - your wife has the bell push end and you have the “ding-dong” receiver end. Something like this one from Argos

Alernativel you might like to check out baby monitors ? Also available from Argos and/or Amazon.