Charge being put on the home?

Firstly this has not happened to my mothers home–she is still alive but in a care home so I was caring for her until recent months in our home, which I am now residing in

AT this stage LOCAL AUTHORITY is still not even forwarded to me any new homes that I have to make a choice for mum, or agreed an amount to fund mum

I was wondering if they might try to put a CHARGE on mum’s home, so that when it is sold at some point they take back what they have paid in care home fees?

This would be a big blow to me, as I should be able to stay in the home as am over age 60 and it is called the MANDATORY PROPERTY DISREGARD.

However someone I know who used to run a care home has mentioned they could still put a charge on the home for when it is sold ie if I wanted to downsize or leave area at some point …anyone know anything on this topic please?

Welcome to the forum.

Carers UK have a helpline, I would suggest you contact them for exact details.

It sounds like you are being given a lot of conflicting information.
The full rules are in the 2014 Care Act Regulations, but if you are over 60 living in mum’s home, I believe it should be totally disregarded. Not sure about the rules if you move though.

Does mum have over £23,000 in savings? If not, the council or the NHS should be paying for some or all of her care BUT she should have an NHS Continuing Healthcare assessment before Social Services get involved with financial assessments. COVID has muddied the waters as far as this is concerned, The helpline should be able to tell you more.

Who is currently paying for her care in the current home?
Who placed her there?

I recommend using a daily care home spreadsheet. Ask to see a paper copy of the invoice and all the relevant and financial paperwork that is up to date. Request a face to face meeting at the home to discuss the matter with the manager of the place. And take some brief summary notes as a precaution too so that you can have some peace of mind. Good luck.

As Bowlingbun said, contact the Carers UK helpline for updated advice.

Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (

Don’t ask the care home about it and don’t ask social services - you don’t want to look like you are volunteering to give them something they are not entitled to have, contact the helpline for information.

The situation could be due to change with government budgets and economical positions and demands on the public purse, a few rules of thumb :-
Nothing seems to be set in stone, goalposts can be moved.

  • Never go by hearsay
    Always ask an independent helpline source such as Carers UK, Age UK etc.
    Keep your cards close to your chest regarding care homes, soc services etc until you have expert knowledge and advice.

If mum is currently in a care home, why do you think she has to move?
Who placed her there? You, hospital, Social Services?

My mother was put on a PATHWAY 3 into respite care when she came out of hospital in September of this year

and NHS funding was refused after assessment

now LOCAL AUTHORITY are waiting to check out her finances

and I live in the family home I am over 60 and I have lived here for a very long time.

I will call the helpline soon they were busy earlier on…

I hope you can get through soon, it is not something I know about.

You can also try emailing them as well and try contacting Age UK

Carers UK information and support
Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (

Age UK Advice Line: 0800 678 1602
Lines are open 8am-7pm, 365 days a year.

How are they defining “Pathway 3”? Not a term I am familiar with.

Have you seen a WRITTEN copy of the assessment. I smell a rat!
If they didn’t give you one, or indeed if your were not involved in the assessment, it may well have been unlawful.