Carers removed from vaccine list?

My husband got his mobile message today - nothing for me. We are now in group five for our area. I have had to leave a message for my G.P. I am registered as my husbands carer.

Out of interest, Sunnydisposition how do you know that your area are now targeting group 6?

Melly1

The message is on our G.P.'s web site and the mayor put on our local news stations.

Age group 65 to 69 for vaccine started yesterday.

Coronavirus vaccination programme

As at 8th February, practices are moving on to wave 5, which is ages 65-69 while continuing to offer vaccinations to those patients in the earlier waves.

Thanks, Sunnydisposition.

Melly1

Hello all

Thanks bowlingbun for alerting me to this topic and sorry it’s taken me several days to respond. I hope the confusion over what you thought was conflicting Government guidance on carers being in priority group 6 for vaccines has not caused any of you too much worry.

I’ve spoken with our policy team and our Senior Information Officer about this and they’ve asked me to share the following information with you which I hope will reassure you that carers are still in group 6 of the priority list.

The latest advice from the Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation confirms that carers are included in group 6. Although carers aren’t mentioned in the summary table (see page 8 in the link below), priority group 6 refers you to Table 3 which confirms (page 10) that carers are included in this group:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/955548/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v6.pdf

Adult carers
Those who are in receipt of a carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if the carer falls ill.

I think the confusion may be because carers aren’t mentioned in the summary table.

If you are struggling to register as a carer with your GP we would encourage you to use this template letter which we have recently made available on our website following feedback from carers.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/register-as-an-unpaid-carer-with-your-gp-template-letter

At our Care for a Cuppa session on Monday, a carer who lives in Hertfordshire said that in his area when a vulnerable person receives their vaccine, an accompanying carer is given their vaccine at the same time. It would be interesting to hear if this approach is also taking place in other parts of the country.

I hope this information is helpful but please let us know if you have any further questions, either in this topic or by contacting our helpline at advice@carersuk.org

With good wishes

Michael

At our Care for a Cuppa session on Monday, a carer who lives in Hertfordshire said that in his area when a vulnerable person receives their vaccine, an accompanying carer is given their vaccine at the same time. It would be interesting to hear if this approach is also taking place in other parts of the country.

I’m of the understanding for some carers this has happened. Only if there has been enough/spare vaccine usually later in the day/evening.

Hi Michael.
Thanks for the letter templates. We live in West Sussex. When my 84 year old dad was vaccinated he asked if I could have the vaccine too as his carer but was told no. Different parts of the country seem to be doing different things.

I have spoke to my G.P. today and no go.

My G.P. send patient information to a third party company. The G.P. then has no say in the matter of delegation.

There is no way I can make contact with anyone. Outside my G.P. to be added to my husband appointment.

The G.P. is stating as we keep hearing, Have no way of adding carers.

For this purpose It’s irrelevant in some areas of the country being registered as a unpaid carer.

Being In receipt of carers allowance or not

I’m confused again now. Seems to happen a lot lately! I was living in the hope that my GP would contact me, as a registered unpaid carer,in the next few days because they will be starting to vaccinate Priority Groups 5 and 6.
Is this not the case now? Do I have to ask the GP again for my vaccine? How will I know if they have started vaccinating 5 and 6 already and if I have been missed?
I rang the GP nearly every day for 6 weeks to get my housebound dad vaccinated. I expect my name is mud at my surgery! Should I now pester them until I get my vaccine?
Any advice from anyone please?

Later to day I will be contacting the local Mayor.

I will send an email to my MP.

Just received this …

NHS England is currently preparing more detailed guidance for GP practices about identifying everyone within cohort six. This has not yet been released, but your GP practice will be informed fairly soon about how to add carers into cohort six.

My Mayor has got involved and is communicating on my behalf to NHS CCG in my area.

NHS CCG have come back to me and are now speaking to the team.

Thanks for sharing your additional experiences - I will share these with colleagues and post here with any further updates.

Michael

This has appear on my G.P.'S web site today.

Still no mention of unpaid carers.

Coronavirus vaccination programme

As at 12th February, practices are moving on to wave 6, which is the under 65’s with underlying health conditions. We continue to offer vaccinations to those patients in the earlier waves.

I wait with anticipation of a text message etc.

I finally got appointment dates for covid jabs. Not because I am a carer for my daughter but because of my age. Hubby got his too. i asked about daughter and they said she should have already been called as she would be in Group 2. i said “well she hasn’t and when she does she will need one of us with her so can you see what you can do.” They rang back and got the 3 of us in for next week together.

I don’t think most GP practices know what they’re doing.

Penny, good job you are able to advocate for your daughter. I wonder how many folk with DS have been missed.

How is her boyfriend now?

Melly1

Just dropping by, some reading material.

“The Green Book” (Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination information for public health professionals)
Last updated 12th Feb I believe.

Page 11

Those clinically vulnerable to COVID include children with severe neuro-disabilities, those who are
designated Clinically Extremely vulnerable (CEV), adults who have underlying health conditions (as defined
in table 3), and those who need care because of advanced age. Eligible carers should be vaccinated in
priority group 6.

Hope this is helpful.

Take care

Thanks Honey Badger,
Shall take a look.

Melly1

Melly,
https://my.drdoctor.co.uk/clinic/millenniumpoint1409
or
https://my.drdoctor.co.uk/clinic/villapark1409

thanks Melly. Her boyfriend is back at work but this will be a tough month for him as we are unable to claim the Test and Trace Support payment of £500 because we still don’t have the necessary Code. I have tried everything with no luck.