Carers Not Paid Due To Income Tax Refund

Good Day

Not sure if there is any point posting. I quit my job to look after my dad. Basically I’m not due a months carers allowance as athough my earnings were under the 128pw or 554pm limit my employer refunded income tax in my final paye so this took me over the limit.

Is there anything I can do?

HI Chap,

welcome to the forum.

I suggest you contact the helpline:

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (>> )


Turns out it’s nothing to do with a tax refund as they don’t take tax refunds in paye into account. It’s the fact they use the earnings made in one month to calculate the following months intitlement. Which seems a bit annoying. So because I was over the limit in May I get nothing for June. Technically if there is a month I earn over the limit it like returning to work they would still pay me carers that month.

Hello Chap

As Melly suggested I would definitely contact our helpline to find out where you stand. They can be contacted on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (

I’m not sure if you are aware but we are currently running a series of online weekly meet ups for carers to get together and chat informally. People say they’ve found it really helpful and supportive and it’s nice to be able to take a little bit of time for yourself. There’s no pressure to share any more than you’re comfortable with. Join up details are here: … ne-meetups

We are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions, where we run a series of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention. … e-sessions

Do join if you’d like to, we’ve had a lot of new carers join the sessions recently and it’s a great way to meet other carers.

with best wishes