Carers Allowance Overpayment due to my Naivety

Hi, I’m sure 99% of people on the forum already know this, but just posting for the few thick people like me.

I always assumed if anything happened to Mum (Hospital, Care Home or the worse), I’d have the safety net of 12 weeks carers allowance. The Government website is very unclear, simply “you may be entitled” without any explanation.

I’ve received an overpayment letter today for the period my Mum was in hospital last year as she wasn’t receiving attendance allowance for this period.

In fairness the Carers UK website makes this completely clear and in the future I will always use the Carers UK advice pages rather than the Government website.

Hi Stephen.

Official answer is :
__

If the person you look after goes into hospital and you are no longer providing care for at least 35 hours a week ,
you can continue to get Carer’s Allowance for up to 12 weeks > or until their disability benefit stops.

That magic worrd … OR … ?

Cheers Chris,

As I said, completely hold my hands up on this one, just wish I’d read the Carers UK interpretation rather than the Governments “You May” (which in fairness should have set alarm bells ringing).

I won’t make that mistake again.

It’s so scary to think that if Mum was hospitalised in the long term tomorrow, my only source of income would instantly stop.

__

It’s so scary to think that if Mum was hospitalised in the long term tomorrow, my only source of income would instantly stop.

A lone carer’s worst nightmare … even when the hospital situation is reversed.

Wake up after several weeks in , say , a coma and there’s the DWP demanding monies overpaid.

Get home and find a bill from the LA demanding £ x,xxx from you as they had to supply emergency cover for your caree.

In turn , the UC unit have sanctioned you for not keeping your journal upto date.

Part of the UC award was Housing Benefit … last 2 months rent unpaid , and tomorrow is the 1st. of the month.

Open letter from landlord … heading … Section 21 Notice.

" Where’s me nearest food bank ? "

Golden rule for any lone carer ?

To avoid potential bankruptcy , stay healthy !

This is why I use the word naivety in my post, I’ve been a carer long enough that I should know better.

I’ve always known I’d be in dire straits if anything happened to Mum, especially as I suffer from Ankylosing Spondylitis and my mobility is going downhill.

It’s also made me think about my view to benefits, I’ve been told on numerous occasions I should be claiming income support, but pride has always stopped me. After this overpayment letter its making me seriously rethink.

Our local foodbank is just of the High Street, my only visit to date was taking my Dad’s left over food after he passed away.

__

Our local foodbank is just of the High Street, my only visit to date was taking my Dad’s left over food after he passed away.

One of the more fortunate ones albeit , probably , struggling to balance the Unholy Trinity … Eat / Heat / Roof … on a daily basis.

100,000+ of our fellow carers were not so fortunate in the last calender year.

UC ?

Only infected 1 in 10 manors so far … by the time it completes it’s UK wide tour ?

As for male pride , you need to leave that at the door when entering CarerLand.

Counts for nothing in our world !