Carers allowance & maternity question

Hi,

I gave up my career 4 years ago to care for my son who’s in receipt of disability allowance. I also receive carers allowance.

I’ve recently found out I’m pregnant again & would be due in October. Does anyone know if you’re entitled to maternity allowance if you’re a carer? My son’s DLA comes to an end next January & not entitled to universal credit.

I understand there would possibly be an issue with overlapping benefits with the carers allowance and maternity allowance, however, if became ineligible for the carers allowance next January, would I be entitled to maternity allowance?

Thank you, Amanda

Hi Amanda, I can’t answer your question, I’m afraid, but Carers UK have a confidential helpline who will know the answer.

Also talk to them about why your son’s DLA is ending.
Have you asked for an updated Carers Assessment from Social Services, in view of your pregnancy?

from the above link…

Impact on other benefits
Maternity Allowance will not affect your tax credits but it will affect how much you get for:

Council Tax Reduction
Housing Benefit
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Income Support
Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) - this will stop if you get Maternity Allowance
bereavement benefits
Carer’s Allowance
Universal Credit

Hello Amanda

Welcome to our forum, I would suggest you contact our helpline, you can ring them or drop them an email and they’ll be able to advise you on what benefits your entitled to. Here’s the helpline info: Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

many thanks
Ingrid

It’s for those in work/recently left work. Universal Credit could help but takes into account household (partners) income and savings, can always try one of the benefit calculators like on “entitledto”.