Carers Allowance entitlement after someone passes away

Can anyone confirm that after the person you care for passes away that you are entitled to carers allowance for 8 weeks after?

Hi Susan,
First of all, my sincerest condolences and I wish you and your family all the best during this difficult time.
You are indeed correct that you can continue to receive carers allowance for 8 more weeks, as long as you continue to meet the age, study, earnings and residence criteria. Additionally, the person you care for must have been entitled to a qualifying disability benefit when they died.
You can report the changes to your situation here:

I hope this helps.
Wishing you all the best

They stopped mine yesterday too after 2 payments after my mum died I phoned them yesterday but I’m not holding my breath I’ll get it back no doubt they’ll stop my income support too next week do they just expect you to get a job from nowhere when you’re not in the right frame of mind and haven’t worked for 21 years? The council couldn’t wait to send me a council tax bill too with only a 25% discount with no money coming in so I’ve applied for support.

I was shocked at the brutal letter demanding the return of an “overpayment they had made” because mum had died. Why can’t there be a sorry for your loss, thank you for caring, this is what happens next, letter?

1 Like

Because they’re heartless and couldn’t care less.