Carers Allowance (Application/Backpay)

Hi everyone.

I’ve recently applied about a week ago for carers allowance on the Gov website. However, now I have completed the application I unforturenetly fear that I perhaps filled in the part about ‘when to claim from’ wrongfully as I fear I perhaps will not receive the 3 months back pay. I placed the date that I wanted to claim from as the 13th of April this year and I also put the date of July last year of when I starting caring for my sister. ( I didn’t know I could possibly receive carers allowance until this month)

From what i understand I may have had to of placed the claim date as the same date that I starting caring for my sister in order to receive back pay? Hopefully, someone on here can correct me there. More or less I’m confused on where to go from? Have I applied correctly on the application in terms of the back pay? And if not, would it be best to ring up the carers allowance unit to somehow explain and update this?

Many thanks, everyone.

Hi Zach.

Best option is to contact the Carers Unit direct and explain what you did :

Carer's Allowance: Make a claim - GOV.UK

__

Contact the Carer’s Allowance Unit

Get information on Carer’s Allowance and how to make a claim.

General enquiries
Telephone: 0800 731 0297
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0297
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Carers Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
WV98 2AB

You can find out more about Carer’s Allowance, or report changes in circumstance if you already receive it.

Great, thankyou very much for your quick response Chris I appreciate it.

Your welcome.

I hope things go smoothly !