Carers allowance application timeframe

Hi there. I am new to the forum.
I applied for carers allowance for my 8 year old daughter 3 weeks ago.
I phoned up today to ask for an update and they said it was “an easy claim and one of there less knowledgable staff can deal with the case” :thinking: and so it should be done quite quickly. I have a few questions…
Does the back payment come first? And is the backpayment 3 months from the day you claimed?
Did you get a letter or payment first?
Is there a certain day it is paid?
How long did it take for your application to be processed?
Thank you for all your help!! I’m new to all of this :open_mouth: :confused: :slight_smile:

From the above link,

Check if you can get your Carer’s Allowance backdated
Your claim can be backdated for up to three months if you were eligible. You don’t have to give a reason why you’re claiming late.

Ask for your Carer’s Allowance to be backdated when you apply – you should ask for this on the claim form where it asks ‘When do you want your Carer’s Allowance to start’?

From the above web site…

Carer’s Allowance Weekly in advance or every 4 weeks

Application processing times - varies

Thank you! I cant remember what I put in that part of the form for when I want it to start :see_no_evil: :huh: :unamused:

Hello Ashley, welcome to the forum

There’s lots of information about financial support on our website here:

Also, if you have any questions about your Carers support claim you can contact our advice and support team here:

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or email advice@carersuk.org

Best wishes

Jane

Ashley don’t worry just call the carers allowance line. And ask an adviser to check the form for you.

Thank you. I have phoned today and they have backdated it 3 months. And it’s been awarded. He reckons it will start on 24th November :-??? . And they have to contact esa before awarding a backpayment. I’m so confused. Anyone have any idea how long a back payment takes?

Any income or benefits you received in the three months back payments. Need to be verified to check your entitlement to carers allowance for that period.

Does Claiming This Benefit Affect ESA? Yes, your carer’s allowance can affect any other benefits you receive including Employment Support and Jobseeker’s benefits. If you receive an Employment Support benefit, you will not be paid your Carer’s Allowance but will instead receive a carer premium.

Thank you. :slight_smile: hopefully confirming with esa wont take too long.