Carers Allowance Claim time

Hi everyone,

I know there will be loads of you guys that will have probably have already asked this question but i’m wondering if you would be able to advise me how long it took for your carers allowance claim to come back with a decision;

My situation is that I am married with two young children I look after my 89 year old grandma who has a whole host of medical and mental health issues, her care is now taking up much more of my days and I have now had to put the claim in for the carers allowance as I am going to have to give up work. I currently earn £170 per week so over the threshold of £128 but my childcare costs for my two children whilst I am caring for her should take me below the threshold as they are around £600 per month. I am waiting to give my notice on my job until I receive their decision on the carers allowance and its just really stressful juggling everything so hoping it won’t take as long as the 12 weeks they say when you submit the claim :open_mouth:

Also, has anyone’s claim ever been refused I am really stressing about this, my grandma receives attendance allowance at the higher rate so hoping it will go through x

thank you for your responses, take care everyone!

Hi Cheryl

Mine took about 8 weeks: that was during the height of the covid situation. No idea how long it’s taking now.

Hello Cheryl

I wanted to wish you a warm welcome to the forum and to highlight some of the options for connecting with fellow carers and for getting support from Carers UK should you need it. Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to. I’m sure you’ll find others in a similar position to yourself.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:Online meetups | Carers UK This social is a great way to have a little break if you are able to and spend some quality time talking to people who understand what you are going through right now.

Share and Learn:Share and Learn | Carers UK - these sessions range from creative writing activities to beginners Latin dance sessions.

There is also Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support - Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

with kind regards
Ingrid

There was a mention on here recently from someone who had applied in December and was still waiting and they’d said they were currently working on the end of November. I applied at the beginning of January and I’ve heard nothing yet.

I think that was me. Just an update I have now heard my claim was successful.

Thanks Geoffrey for the update. Glad you got it at last.

Melly1

Cheryl, don’t give up your job until you have explored all the other options.
What is wrong with Grandma?
When did Social Services last give her a Needs Assessment?
Have you asked them for a Carers Assessment, looking at the support you need to continue working and caring?
If she had many issues, has anyone arranged an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment for her, which would be all the care she needed, FREE of charge? It’s a bit of a postcode lottery I’m afraid.
Do You have Power of Attorney?
Does she have over £23,000 in savings?
Own or rent her home?