Are supermarkets doing enough to help carers?

I went to the local Waitrose this afternoon to do some shopping, when what should I see but a queue of, I’d guess, over 100 people outside. My immediate reaction: “I’m a sole carer for my caree. I can’t possibly risk standing around that many other people who might be asymptomatic!” (So I went away again, and came back later, when thankfully there were only about a dozen people in the queue). The elderly and vulnerable may get their own designated shopping hours, but what about their carers? Is anything done for them by the national chains? I would have been happy, for example, if my place in the queue could have been marked, and then I could go away and sit somewhere else where I wouldn’t be surrounded by all these potential sources of infection, but is that an option anywhere? And what about those people who can’t leave their caree for several hours while they queue up? Not to mention that we hear about all these people who take several hours to get up/be got up in the morning because their condition means that they take hours before they can actually get moving - how can they profit from early morning opening? What other options are available?

Is this something Carers UK could be addressing at a national level?

This has been elsewhere in this section of the forum

Yes, Carers UK are aware of the problem and are making representation to the government for “rules” to be clearer. When BJ announced what we could and couldn’t do at the beginning of the week he said that we could leave home for

Under the restrictions, everybody must stay at home and only leave for these reasons:

to exercise once a day - either alone, or with members of your household
shopping for basic necessities, although this should be done as little as possible
medical need, or to provide care for a vulnerable person
travel to or from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary

“Key workers” were defined as all NHS staff and those working in social care amongst others.

Unfortunately there is (and always has been) a problem with terminology - to the general public (supermarkets included) the word “carer” is used generically to describe a paid care worker; whereas in our world it describes an unpaid, non-professional person caring for friend or family member. What’s really needed is for more people/organisations to be aware that the word “carer” doesn’t just mean those work in the care industry !

SHOPPING thread :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/44/shopping-problems-40055

Another vote for an accepted carers card nationwide ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/a-carers-card-2019-rerevisted-now-a-carers-passport-just-a-rebranding-of-a-tired-concept-39543