A little advice please Re carers allowance

I’m good with forms, not so good with plastering, in awe of how easy a plasterer makes it look, not so easy when I try!

I had my lounge replastered just last month.

There is usually at least one organisation in an area which can help claimants with forms. Google the name of your home time plus “benefits advice” and you should find someone, if there is no CAB.

We have left telephone messages with DIAL and CAB but they haven’t got back to us so far, I imagine they are very busy.

Thanks.

Your welcome.

If you need us , you know where we are.

A wee update…

We spoke to a lovely lady from DIAL today. She has made an appointment for use to go in with all the medical stuff in 5 weeks time. They are so busy that is the first appointment that is available.

We were advised to phone PIP and register with them so that is now done and we are await some forms. We understand the DLA but in the form of PIP will be paid until the forms arrive and they make a decision… Is that correct ?

Back to the topic point if I may.

From the advice above do I make my claim for carers allowance online now ?? Or should I wait until the PIP decision is made ? Am I correct in thinking that if for some reason my wife is denied PIP would that stop if of course I got it ? Is the form reasonably easy to fill in ?

Could someone please post the link to the application for carers allowance page ?

I cannot thank you all enough for your so valuable assistance. I/We would really struggle without it.

Okay Charlie … hold on to yer seat belt !

Carers Allowance … if DLA is still being paid , APPLY NOW :

Online application form :

Carer's Allowance claim form - GOV.UK

DON’T FORGET THE BACKDATING BIT !!!

**_Backdating.

If you were entitled to Carer’s Allowance before the date you claimed it, you can ask for it to be backdated for up to three months.

If getting Carer’s Allowance means you can get a means-tested benefit because you qualify for carer premium, you should claim the benefit when you claim Carer’s Allowance._**

( 3 MONTHS … 91 DAYS … IN EXCESS OF £ 800 !!! )

Every day that goes by , you are losing £ 9.45 … not much but … just how many days … 100 / 200 / 500 … more ?
PIP ?

Not quite yet … application form and then an assessment.

DLA should continue until that assessment ???

DIAL ?

Noted … for any reader not familar , the following link to their site :

https://www.dialuk.info/

A VERY handy outfit worthy of a business card in anyone’s wallet / purse !

That should keep you going … for a while ?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/757842/What-PIP-means-for-carers.pdf

I have now completed the online form for carers allowance. Thanks Chris for the link.

I must admit I was apprehensive as forms have never been something that comes easily but it was simple enough. I now feel a sense of relief that it’s done. Odd maybe but other than my wife’s claim for DLA niether of us have ever claimed for anything before. I’m 62 my wife is 60.

I know I keep saying thanks but I / We really do mean it. But for resources such as this people like us would really struggle. You should all be proud of yourselves.

Charlie.

Thank you .

Your welcome.

Had a reply from DWP.

I don’t qualify for carers allowance because my wife gets the low not the middle or high component.
Are we understanding this correctly?? It is for us confusing .

Because we have never updated for fear of rattling the kennel door so to speak the deterioration of my wife’s condition has not been updated. Our fault of course so no complaints.

The forms are with us and we have an appointment with DIAL in a couple of weeks time so things are moving slowly.

My wife’s doctor is solidly on her side and giving wonderful support.

Thanks.

Hi Charlie.

Yep … wrong flavour of DLA :

__

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment - daily living component.
Disability Living Allowance > - > the middle or highest care rate.
Attendance Allowance.
Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension.
Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Only a move up that league table to either MIDDLE or HIGHER rate will trigger Carers Allowance being made.

Good to learn that moves are already in place for a fresh assessmnet.

Keep us appraised … we are here to help you !

NOTE: Charlie

For future reference

Pip has only two rates…

Definitely needs to be upgraded to the higher rate if she needs watching full time now.

Hi. Just a wee update.

Well my wife was assessed for PIP which of course was the progression from DLA…

She has been placed in the enhanced section if that’s the right way of putting it ? Despite our worries and caution it went well. I nor my family have never been in any doubt but still the worry was awful.

So I re applied for carers allowance prompted by our GP who has been marvellous.

A few days ago I received a text message from the DWP informing me they had reached a decision and the letter to inform me of that decision should be with me in ten days.

You may recall me applying for carers before the PIP assessment but was told my wife was not in the right group in DLA. I got the knock back by letter only with no text message that time. So I’m hopeful but very unsure what to expect.

Lastly I would like to say a HUGE thank you to the gentleman from this forum who phoned me on Friday to welcome me to this forum. I was having a bad day and the thought of someone calling reminded me I’m not alone … For those who do what I/We do I think you will understand.

Thank you all.

Great update!

I am pleased your PIP application went well and I am sure you will also receive carers allowance because the two benefits go hand in hand. You can also get a Blue Disability Badge now your wife has qualified for PIP. This can be used by anyone driving her around. Please do not be afraid to go to your local Citizens Advice - they can help you with all your applications . I appreciate that this information is a bit late in coming in your case. The Citizens Advice website has lots of useful information on benefits which is reasonably easy to understand.

I’m very pleased to report that I have been granted the CA…It will really make a difference to us so a massive thanks for the information given here.

However I’m confused…DWP have paid me £132 into my account. I still have no letter or notification from DWP so I phoned and was told of the acceptance.

I did tick the box as advised to claim the back pay but maybe it’s because my wife has only recently transferred from the DLA group she was in to the PIP group that allows us to claim CA ?

Either way we’re not to bothered just very grateful for to some may not seem like a lot of money but to us makes a big difference.

Thank you all very much.

Well done, great to hear some good news.

DWP work in mysterious ways, they should send you a letter separately in the next few days.

Congratulations!