Toenails/podiatry service

My dad is 86 .He doesnt live with me. He takes anti coagulants so is eligible for the podiatry home visits. I saw his toenails today and they are very long. I rang the podiatry service and they couldnt tell me when they could come out (staff sickness). I also rang a private company and they will come out for £50.
My dad refuses to pay and would be angry if I paid. I don`t know if he has dementia .
Is it advisable for me to cut them myself?
Thanks for any advise.

Hi @Felicity My hubby is a Podiatrist and I was Practice Manager for our small private practice. We had to close when he had a stroke a bit over two years ago.

In our area NHS Podiatry Service has been more and more restricted and decline (wanted to say refuse but am being polite!) treatment for anyone except Very High Risk patients. Whilst this should be good for private practitioners we found it made us very angry that people could not get the treatment to which they are entitled.

Anyway I will get off my soapbox and go back to your question.

Yes you can cut his nails but may I give a few warnings:

Do not use scissors. Use properly designed nail nippers - the best quality you can afford (without going to professional quality which are anything from £60-100 a pair). You should be able to find them for around £25-30.

Always cut straight across the nail - don’t cut down at the sides as this will help to avoid the nail in-growing which will cause bigger problems. We always recommended using flat blades rather than the ones which are ‘rounded’. You want to make sure the blades meet correctly when closed so there is a firm cut and no tendency to rip the nail rather than cut it.

Try to get a good nail file (professionally we call them a “Foot Dresser” and these should be available at around a fiver. They are usually around 8-10 inches long and that gives a good firm ‘stroke’ to help blunt off the cut edges which stop them snagging on socks and bedding etc.

Don’t try to cut too far back in one go. It’s better to trim and then do them again rather than take a BIG chunk out in one.

Keep the nippers away from the skin so you don’t catch him and cause a bleed. If there is a small bleed, I am sure you are aware - apply cotton wool or a piece of lint and put pressure on til the bleeding stops. Then apply a small clean dressing to protect while it heals and to prevent infection.

I hope this helps a bit.

Try age in your area as I was told that my dad who is over 70 could have it done by them. As the NHS have stopped in my area.

1 Like

Our local magazines are full of adverts for people offering this service and they are Foot Health Practitioners or Foot Health Professionals not to be confused with qualified chiropodists or podiatrists.

Nothing wrong with that but a lot of them are being naughty and charging the same as a qualified podiatrist. They should be charging considerably less because they may have just done a very short course, often just a weekend. The NHS do not employ them.

Hi Penny

I was holding back on making the points you have made about FHPs. They are not ‘fully qualified’ and are not allowed to carry out certain treatments, yet we know through our own clinic that many use the title Chiropodist even though to do so is an Offence. Chiropodists/Podiatrists MUST be qualified to a certain level and also MUST register with the Health and care professions Council which is a Government established Regulatory body. Registration can be checked by visiting Check the Register and find a registered health and care professional | Anyone using the title is legally obliged to register and meet the qualification requirements and standards for Continuing Professional Development.

There are too many who flout the law and this can put patients at risk. One of our suppliers gave a promotional talk at one ‘quick start school’ and then had someone come over to him asking him to supply anaesthetic as he intended to carry out nail surgery - even though he was not allowed to do so as he had not qualifications!

Anyway. Off my soapbox now… The advice is always to check the HCPC register to ensure the person IS properly qualified to carry out the medical procedures.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the advice. I am struggling with caring for my dad as he will get angry with me if I go against his wishes ,I just want his nails doing asap. His feet are in a bit of a mess, don`t know if it is years of being on anti coagulants.
I will see if I can persuade him to pay but thank you for the advice Chris on doing them myself. I just wanted to say how wonderful chiropodists are. My son has had ingrowing nail surgery on both toes and he is now free from pain, anxiety and the need for antibiotics… The lady that did the surgery was just superb.

1 Like

Hi @Felicity … I think there are some circumstances when we carers are allowed to ‘fudge the truth’ and it feels like this is one of those moments. My hubbie also hates to spend money - and that has become even more ingrained since he developed cogitive issues… even though he has lots of savings in the bank. Luckily I do have an LPA as we both sorted out our power of attorneys along time ago - so what I am doing is paying for things that he needs and if he asks, I just say oh, it’s free like the chair was (we did get a number of things free from the local authority after an OT and care needs assessment as these things were NOT means tested). Just tell your dad it’s a free service from Age UK - it’s better that it’s done and it’s also better that your relationship not be impaired toomuch.

Well before his stroke Graham had around 30 years experience in Chiropody/Podiatry (NHS and private) - now the profession is being diluted by NHS not providing an adequate service!

You do well Chris …… I can never hold back! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My elderly (late) Mum had a FHP cut her toenails and she was in and out and charged her about £25. She didn’t come specially, as it was a day centre and she had several other people to do too. Mum thought it was very expensive and too rushed.

Mum had very good feet and no diabetes or anything so I took over her footcare. Clipped her toenails, then filed. Used a footbath which she loved and removed any hard skin with foot file. Used lovely oil to massage her feet so she got the full treatment.

They were the bane of our professional life!!!