Young carer.

Hi all I’m very new to this app , I am a carer for my mum and I’m almost 17 , I’ve been caring for my mum since I was about 13-14 years old , she has functional nurlogical disorder which makes it very hard for her to do anything alone ! if anyone ever needs to speak I’m here.

HI Ruby,

welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have to give your Mum a lot of support.

Does your school know you care for her? They should be able to put you in touch with support for young carers in your area. Young carer groups are great as you can talk to other young carers who understand what caring for someone is like. They often organise outings etc as well.

Does your Mum get support through social care as well? Are you recognised as a carer by your GP and social services?

Melly1

Hi Melly! I’m currently working in a nursery as an apprentice ! The doctors know ! thank you so much for your support my dad is a carer for my mum to theres 5 of us that care for her she has a lot of support but our dad deals with all this side of stuff we are all in the young carers programme to ! X

Hi Ruby,

glad you aren’t caring on your own and are getting support from a young carer’s group. Are you enjoying the apprenticeship in the nursery? Is it a nursery for children or plants?

Melly1

Hi Ruby,

Welcome to the forum!

It’s great that you and your family are supporting each other in your caring roles.

Carers UK are running online weekly meet ups for carers to take some time for themselves and chat to other carers. Feel free to join if you’d like to and there’s no pressure to share anything you don’t want to. There is a wide range of online activities ranging from yoga to creative writing.

You can find information on how to register to our online meetups at the following pages:
Care for a Cuppa: Online meetups | Carers UK
Share and Learn: Share and Learn | Carers UK

I hope you find some of these support groups useful.

Best Wishes,

Lucy.

Um it’s ok I struggle a lot because I worry about my mum when I’m at work but I work with children !

Oh wow this is fab will defo look into
Joining ! X