Would I be eligible for Universal Credit as a 2nd Carer

My sister and I were caring for our Parents 24/7 until our Dad passed away 3 weeks ago, officially I am carer for my Mum and my sister was carer for my Dad but to be honest we shared doing everything for them together, now my sister will no longer recieve carers allowance and Income support but our Mum requires a lot of help physically and mentally too much for 1 person so we both need to care for her together. My question is it possible for my sister to claim Universal Credit or a different benefit to enable us to both continue to care for our Mum at home as we always have.
I look forward to any advice given.
Thanks Michelle :frowning:

Hi Michelle,

It’s my understanding that only one person can claim Carer’s allowance per person requiring care, unfortunately.

If you are of working age and under the savings threshold, you could claim Universal Credit, however, you would be required to actively be looking for work and attend meetings with your job coach etc

Have you tried a benefits calculator such as https://www.turn2us.org.uk

If you need more advice then I recommend you contact the helpline;

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777


However, if two carers are required, then maybe ask Social Services to do an updated assessment.
After that, ask them to apply the exception rule so you can receive Direct Payments.

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will have a look on the Turn2us website and think about a new assessment for my Mum.

Make sure you are present when Social Services assess mum’s needs, so she is honest about what she can do now, not in the past! Make a list of ALL the jobs you do, brushing hair, washing, shopping, internet searches, everything. Once her Needs are assessed, then they can talk about how much it costs to meet her needs, and who will do it. You and your sister should be eligible for Direct Payments.