Waiting list for treatment

Hi,

In line with what’s going on with my mum, I myself am having some trouble with my treatment. Its not really to do with my carer role, but Im wondering if anyone has any experience on how to go about this?

Last year, I was diagnosed with a hormonal problem and started to receive treatment from a hospital consultant. I usually go to see the consultant every six months. The last time I saw them was October last year.

Last year, I was also put on a certain medication to alleviate some of the symptoms of my condition. The medication is called Orlistat and is used as a weight loss medication normally. It works by binding fat in the body as long as someone follows a strict low fat diet.

My condition means that the signals in my body don’t respond very well, and my body stores it because it doesn’t know what to do with it.

Under normal weight loss rules according to the GP the medication is only reissued as long as someone continues to reach 100% of the weight loss goal. However, because of my condition it only works about 75%.

I told the consultant last year that the GP’s kept trying to take it off me because I wasn’t meeting their goals. However, I told him it was the only thing that was really working at the moment and being taken off it would leave me with nothing. He agreed and told me I could stay on it (not indefinitely, but for a significant time) until I’m in a better position. He sent a letter to the GP to stop trying to remove it, and he told me any problems I should contact him.

Last week I got a message to say that the GP wanted to review the medicine and see if I meet the normal goals. I contacted the surgery and they told me that they had to carry on with this as the medication is a huge cost to the NHS (I pay full National insurance, and I pay for all my medications).

I contacted the consultants secretary and they said that the consultant has now left the NHS and there isnt a replacement. I was also told that there was a new service instead, and there was now a massive waiting list again to get on it. I was told I would have been due an appointment now normally.

1 Like

That’s really frustrating, and not at all helpful to you. Waiting lists everywhere are a nightmare anyway, and when you are on a treatment that your GP wants to stop it becomes even worse.
Any chance you’re able to access private medical care through your work? Might be a way to get a consultant to support you continuing on that medicine. I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful with suggestions of what to try.

1 Like

I’m sure you know already that stress has a huge effect on the way a body functions, and you have been hugely stressed over mum.
They year my son became a boarder at school, after 16 years of having a child at home every day, the weight absolutely fell off me without even trying.
When I go to Greece, not a care in the world, usually come back lighter!

1 Like

So true! I remember when a previous major stress got reduced sudddenly, I did lose most of a stone without any effort. Still got a bit to go unfortunately, but reducing stress definitely helps!

That’s very frustrating, Coolcar.

Did you see your lovely consultant record this in your notes? If so, obtaining a copy of your notes could be the way forward and the evidence you need for the GP.

Totally agree the stress you are under will be negatively affecting your body.