Unpaid Carer Breaks in UK

Just found this in case anyone is interested: https://carefreespace.org/

’ Carefree transforms vacant accommodation into vital breaks for unpaid carers.’
I haven’t tried this personally but from what I see they partner with the hospitality sector. It’s the first time I’ve seen a national ‘social enterprise’, orchestrate something specifically for unpaid carers.

I hope this can help someone. If you try it could you post your thoughts.

Taken a deeper look FYI From the website. I’m registering
ACCOMMODATION
Our hotels donate 1-2 night breaks, plus breakfast where possible for a carer and their companion (adult or child). Twin or Double room.

We are currently seeking new partnerships for longer stays that will become available in due course.

COSTS
There is no charge for the accommodation, but you are responsible for all other costs (transport, food, travel insurance etc.) and there’s a £25 admin fee to help with the cost of operating our charity.

CARE-FREE
The short breaks initiative is designed to give you some time away from your caring responsibilities. You are welcome to take a companion with you but not the person that you care for. If you want to travel alone, that’s fine too.

MAKING A BREAK REQUEST
After you have selected a break of your choice and paid the admin fee we will do a final booking confirmation check with the hotel. Occasionally a hotel will reject a booking request. When this happens we will let you know, and then you will be able to request another break.

ELIGIBILITY
To qualify for a break you must be:

• Aged 18 or over
  • Full-time unpaid carer (30+ hours per week)
  • Able to arrange interim care
  • Able to pay for extras (admin fee, transport, food, travel insurance etc.)
3 Likes

I’m still pondering on this …just seen this article in Carers First magazine online: Carefree gave me my first holiday in seven years | Carers First