Suspended Carers Allowance

Hi all,

I’ve been caring for my mother for around 4 - 5 months now & work part time at a hearing aid clinic.

I earn 611.17 each month. I didn’t know I was over the earning limit & now have received a letter stating I’m over the limit & my carers has been suspended.

My mother does go out with my husband during the days im at work, taking daily walks and seeing friends, but I’ve been told that if she is doing something whilst I’m at work that classes as “respite” then I can claim this? However we have no receipts for aything, as she hate carrying them around or asking for them.

I’ve seen read up somewhat about things, but unsure as to how I can rectify this?

Any help is welcomed!

Hi Letitia,

Perhaps your husband could claim the Carer’s Allowance instead?

There is information re deductible expenses here Work-related costs and Carer's Allowance - Entitledto

However, you could also contact the helpline for clarification

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (>> )