My wife is caring for her disabled mum next door to where she lives and she gets carers allowance and this is all she gets to live on, her mum helps out with money. I mysely get a pension of £80 although I will be getting my state pension soon…is there anything she can claim for!

Carers UK have a confidential helpline so they can go through your finances in confidence. They helped me to claim an extra £60 in benefits!

Can you tell us a bit more about mum in law? How old is she? What does she need help with?

What age is your wife?

Your wife could try a benefits calculator.


Please tell us more. Has she has a needs assessment or not?

If mum in law has under £23,000 in savings, then she could have a Needs Assessment from Social Services. Once her needs had been assessed, they would pay towards meeting those needs, and as your wife doesn’t life with mum, Social Services could pay your wife using what is called Direct Payments. So get that assessment done!
Can you give us more details about her mum and her care needs. There may be other help available too.

Hello Roger, welcome to the forum

If you call our helpline they’ll be able to tell you what you’re all entitled to and how to access it. . You can call them on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or email

Best wishes