struggling

Hi I’m new to the forum. I’m a single mom and carer for my 18 year old daughter who has depression, anxiety and OCD. She is under the care if a psychiatrist and on meds. Tried lots of counselling and CBT. Nothing seems to help. I’m grieving on her behalf for her loss of a ‘normal’ life and I’m worn out . I feel like I’ve let her down because nothing helps her to feel better. This has been going on for 4 years now. I have no real support and no partner. Really struggling to cope.

Hi Sue,
welcome to the forum.

Living with a mental illness is very hard for the person and those who live with and care for them.

From what I have gleaned on here, the best thing you can do is to look after yourself and model a healthy lifestyle that supports your wellbeing. This will help you to be more resilient and better placed to support your daughter. Also, we are all very sensitive to the state of mind of those around us so it will indirectly help your daughter if you are getting on with your life.

A wise poster on here MrsAverage, found setting realistic tasks - baby steps each day - join us to eat, go to the post box etc These are just examples. She gradually increased the expectations - her son gradually gained confidence. It was a long process, but it did work.

Melly1