Social Care in Scotland

I have recently written to Helen Whately MP, Minister for Care.

In my letter I highlighted the fact that free personal and/or nursing care is available to all adults in Scotland who have been assessed by the local authority as eligible for the services. I asked why is funding for social care free in Scotland, and not in England? Surely if Great Britain is a Union of nations then the most vulnerable should be treated equally and fairly.

I quoted an article from the British Medical Council dated 8 September 2020 entitled " Social Care in Scotland"

" A distinguishing characteristic of the Scottish system is, however, that there is an entitlement for free personal care for those aged 65 and over. Payments for personal care are universal and are not means tested."

It will be interesting to see what her reply is…

Hi Andrew,

looking forward to hearing her response.

Melly1

social care is not free in scotland LOL…

my neighbour had to pay for her husband to be removed from his home into a care home at £1000 a week .
when my dad was alive we had to pay for a stairlift to be installed from the social services.
when my brother in law was alive , they tried to pressure him into getting a home alarm installed at £50 a week