Shared live hosts and applying for carers allowance for son?

Hello,

I am wondering if you are able to help me. My son has recently been awarded DLA. He requires a lot of care and support. I have been advised to claim for carers allowance. I do not work. However, along with my husband, we are shared lives carers and have a young person live with us. We do not see this as ‘work’, they are just part of our family, but of course, we do get paid for this. We have to complete a self-assessment each year as a partnership. As shared lives carers, we follow the same tax allowance rules as fostering, which means our profit each year is around £3000 once all the tax breaks are applied. This is then split between my husband and I - so roughly £1500 profit each year. This is obviously a lot lower than the £132 allowance for carers you are allowed to earn.

However, is this what carers allowance go by, your profit if you are self employed? or what exactly you are paid for by shared lives? because this is obviously a lot more, but of course, there is a lot of cost to hosting someone!! Bills, food etc.

I am hoping this makes sense and someone may be able to give some insight :slight_smile:

Thank you

I suggest you contact the Helpline: they’ll know the rules on this.

I remember when my wife and I did some fostering, my wife was still able to claim Carers Allowance, but that was years ago and rules change all the time. It’s likely that you’re ok, but the Helpline will be able to check for certain. I suggest you use the email address for this as it’s one that will need some research to be sure: advice@carersuk.org

Thank you so much for your advice. I’ll email straight away :slight_smile: