SDP Premium Advice Needed

I understand that if a person lives with parents who both receive qualifying benefits (PIP at high rate of both elements) and as I receive PIP at high rate of both elements with Income Based ESA (in Support Group) I can claim the Severe Disability Premium as nobody claims Carer’s Allowance for looking after me. I further understand that I could not claim Severe Disability Premium if someone claimed another benefit or benefits. Does anybody know what other benefit or benefits would prevent me from claiming the Severe Disability Premium? I know that Carer’s Allowance and the Carer Element of Universal Credit does so. Just like to know before telephoning the ESA enquiries office as I know they must be very busy and lines can be engaged for an hour or so at a time.

Hi Eleanor

Have a read it does state this can be complicated and to get advice.

Many thanks. Yes, very complicated. I know that Carer’s Allowance and the Carer Element of Universal Credit can stop the SDP so but wondered if any other benefits could do so, such as the underlying carer’s allowance.

Both my husband and myself receive the SDP on Pension Credit.

I have an underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance for caring for my husband but that doesn’t stop him receiving the SDP.

I assume it would be the same for ESA but not sure.

Thank you so much. That reply helps me a lot. Best wishes to you.