Help please with severe premium possible claim

I will be getting my state pension in a few months so will be getting the lowest amount monthly as I only paid in for twelve years. At the moment the wife gets what I think she calls the employment support benefit and her personal independence payment at highest amounts of both as she is severely disabled. I too get the high amounts of both personal independence payments and I get carers allowance for her. My wife gets premiums (I think that is what they are known as) in her employment support benefit and one of these is called the severe disability premium. What I am trying to find out is whether or not I will be entitled to the severe disability premium as well as my wife when my carers allowance stops in a few months. If I am entitled to it do I have to fill in forms or make phone calls. I have a phobia of forms to fill as I tend to mess them up with my shaking hand… Thanks for any help with this. Sorry if I was a bit rambling.

Hello & welcome Alfred

You could do a benefits calculator

Have a read on pension credit as you are stating to get the lowest amount for your state pension.

Your income
When you apply for Pension Credit your income is calculated. If you have a partner, your income is calculated together.

Pension Credit tops up:

your weekly income to £182.60 if you’re single
your joint weekly income to £278.70 if you have a partner
If your income is higher, you might still be eligible for Pension Credit if you have a disability, you care for someone, you have savings or you have housing costs.

You could also call the Carers UK helpline or your local Citizens Advice.

Call 0808 808 3555 or email helpline@contact.org.uk

I have arthritis in my hands, typing is fine, not handwriting.
My son has learning difficulties, when I was sent a PIP form, there was no way I could have filled it all in.
DWP sent someone to help me, he was brilliant, and the claim siled through. If you have been claiming Carers Allowance, this gives you “credits” towards your pension, so you might have a pleasant surprise.
Have you asked them for a “pension forecast” to show everything listed is correct. They missed out a large chunk of my credits, so it’s better to check in advance of claiming your pension.
Our CUK helpline will also be able to advise you about benefits.

Thank you everybody for the replies. They are really helpful. Best wishes to all.

Dear Alfred

Welcome to our forum, sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulty in working out your claim.
I’ve forwarded your enquiry to our advice line, they should respond in a day or two. I’ll private message you the response as soon as it lands.

with kind regards
Ingrid

Thank you for your help. I am so grateful.