Scared about homelessness

Hi all,

I might be being extremely paranoid but this is really bugging me.

I am 22 and my mum has MS. I am her primary carer, but she is able to do simple tasks . She stays at home whilst I go to work/study. We don’t have any other family to help.

I am so scared that I will be made homeless if my mum needs care/needs to go into a care home. I have been living with her in our home all my life. I will be going to uni in September (made the decision to stay at home), and I’m so scared that I am going to be without a home if my mum has to go into care. What in the world would I do if homeless and trying to study!?

Does anyone have any more information regarding this, if worst comes to worst? I have been pushing myself into debilitating anxiety over this :frowning:

Potential homeless ?

I assume a social tenant … LA or Housing Association ?

If so , the word SUCCESSION springs to mind.

In which case , have a read of SHELTER’s guidance on this :

Council tenant : Can you inherit a council tenancy? - Shelter England

Housing Association tenant : Can you inherit a housing association tenancy? - Shelter England

Or , a case of having to sell the family home to fund future care ?

In that case , AGE UK … all you need to know about the basics :

Do I have to sell my home to pay for care? | Age UK

On the caring front , Needs Assessment through your LA … upto date ?
Getting a social care needs assessment - NHS

Actual care … anyone mention CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare … might well be an option :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support-and-advice/all-about-caring/chc-coughlan-grogan-judgements-nhs-contuing-healthcare-nhs-fnc-hospital-discharges-all-under-this-one-thread-35998

Your mother … on the radar of The MS Society … might be worth bouncing that off them ?

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/

I trust this will be of assistance ?

Hi L,

You can also talk to your student union welfare dept/ rep about this.

Melly1

Welcome to the forum.

You say that you are mum’s “primary carer” as she has MS. Does she get any care from Social Services? When did they last do a Needs Assessment for her, and a Carers Assessment for you? They should be updated annually, or when needs change.