Safeguarding in care homes

Hello
I have put a complaint in writing both to the manager of my mother’s care home and to Social Services which details 2 episodes of verbal abuse and a list of other care issues (e.g. not getting drinks, using the same washing water for my Mum and the other resident of her shared room, not getting help with personal care). Today a carer told my Mum that ‘you have no rights here’. I rang the social worker to ask that Mum be moved. She says that I can move Mum with her agreement whenever I like as she is self funding - but there’s nowhere to move her to except to bring her back home to live with me. Apparently there are no places available so she has to stay where she is. What to do? Bring her home and go back to my previous non-life or leave her there and keep complaining which is so difficult…upsetting, frustrating, takes so much time and energy! I hate going in to see her curled up in her chair weeping everyday - there seems to be no compassion from the staff. I’m told she’s grieving (by the manager) and this will all get better but will it? It’s 2 months now!
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Julieanne

2 episodes of verbal abuse and a list of other care issues (e.g. not getting drinks, using the same washing water for my Mum and the other resident of her shared room, not getting help with personal care). Today a carer told my Mum that ‘you have no rights here’.

Julie this is totally unacceptable. How terrible.

Who do you complain to? Make a formal written complaint to the manager of the care home and if improvements don’t happen also inform the Adult safeguarding team at Social Services. I would also let CQC know.

I suggest visiting other homes in the area and getting your Mum’s name down on their waiting lists. In the meantime, keep varying your visiting times to keep them on their toes.

I’m sure others will be along with more advice.

Melly1

First things first. Why is she in a shared room at all???
Are you sure she is self funding?
Have you read the Care Quality Commission report on the place?
Have you complained to CQC?

She’s in a shared room because that’s all that was available when she was discharged from hospital - I was told she would have to accept that or come home and I wasn’t in a good place at the time so agreed (as did she because she didn’t want me to worry). We were told she would have the first single room that came up and she’s still on the list for other places.

She is self-funding currently (although that won’t last long) she just gets her personal care funded.

The Care Inspectorate report (we’re in Scotland) was good in all areas and it does look like a lovely place - I visited before she went there and thought it was great with loads of things going on, friendly staff etc.

I haven’t complained to the Care Inspectorate - the council are conducting the Adult Protection Investigation and I think they will tell the Care Inspectorate that there’s been a complaint. There have not been other complaints that I know of recently. I think this is all about the shared room - the staff seem really annoyed that the existing resident has to share (she’s been there a long time) and seem to be making life deliberately difficult. I’ve really tried to see things from their point of view and I know my Mum can be difficult (I lived with it for a long time!) but she’s entitled to respect at least.

In England, there should be no one in a shared room unless they specifically request it, ie. a husband and wife.

Really? I’ll look that up for Scotland. Thanks