Pre-paid funeral plan a deprivation of assets?

hi…first post and looking for some advice…

My mother is in a care home partly funded by her local authority, she has just under £23,000 in total assets. She has asked me to look into buying her a pre-paid funeral plan, which will cost in the region of £4000. I was wondering if her local authority could class this as a deprivation of assets in her next financial assesment in 2022…

Hi Steven,

Age Uk has an information sheet on this https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs40_deprivation_of_assets_in_social_care_fcs.pdf

funeral plans don’t appear to be included (very harsh if they were - no one can help dying and it is hardly frivolous to want a funeral!)

However, you could always contact the helpline to double check

You can email us at > adviceline@carersuk.org > and we will respond to your enquiries within 10 working days, although it can often be sooner.

Our telephone helpline providing information is open from Monday to Friday between 9am and 6pm - 0808 808 7777

Melly1

My guess is a funeral plan would be fine. Banks will allow funerals to be paid for out of the deceased assets, a funeral already paid for would be easier for everyone.