PIP age

My husband is 68. He’s been on DLA for a long time but now has been made to apply for PIP. My question is: if PIP is for people of working age, why should a 68-year-old man have to apply for it? When I phoned them, they said ‘because he was on DLA, he’s eligible to apply for PIP.’ Can someone please clarify this? I’ve seen ‘I Daniel Blake’ and have little hope. :frowning:

Brief explanation from the CAB web site :

Moving from DLA to PIP - Citizens Advice

**_PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the benefit that’s gradually replacing DLA (Disability Living Allowance).
You’ll carry on getting DLA if you were 65 or over on 8 April 2013.

For everyone else aged 16 and over, DLA will stop and you’ll need to claim PIP instead - even if you have a ‘lifetime’ or ‘indefinite’ award for DLA._**

MoneyAdviceService web site for some of the other considerations … including financial :

Moving from DLA to PIP coping with income changes | MoneyHelper

__

If you were getting Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and have been reassessed for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), your income might have changed. This page tells you more about ways you can manage your money to cope with your new circumstances.

An Internet search … DLA TO PIP … will throw up numerous postings on the major caree supporting organisations forums.

The amount of advice and guidance thereon is exceptional.

Yeah, that’s the problem. He was 63 on that date. I will search as you suggested. There’s something wrong with this rule.

You know, I’m going to wait and see what they decide. Then I’ll fight hammer and tongs if need be. Right now I have enough stress getting used to my new situation.

Is there any reason why you would lose out financially if he was on PIP rather than DLA?

All depends on the same amount payable under PIP as previously for DLA.

Fresh assessments , different criteria … the bane of the caree supporting organisation forums ! ( SCOPE the best on this ) :

https://community.scope.org.uk/

Only then will a comparison be available.

UC MAY also be a factor.

Without knowing the full range of benefits / allowances being claimed … under UC or not … impossible to answer with any accuracy.

Exactly Chris, only by gathering information about the experience of individuals will we know the answer.
In my son’s case, it made no difference, but he is only 39.

We are in exactly the same position my husband got his letter informing him to apply for PIP just today he was born in June 1950.
Many people I understand end up going to appeal so if PIP is refused and we decide to appeal (which we will) do I lose my carers allowance as soon as PIP is refused until the appeal and will that be back dated or am I meant to leave my husband and sign on in the mean time?
My husband is wheelchair disabled, this has to be pushed by me and our motobility car is the only way I can get my husband out, paths are to uneven to push him to our closest bus stop so often i will simply put him in the car and he will sit in it in a car park while I get the shopping etc our longest journey this year has been to see our daughter 45mins away that is all he can manage so is there anyway we can keep our car between PIP being refused and our appeal (we cant afford to buy one in fact we will be lucky to feed ourselves if we lose)