Phone friends.

My husband has dementia. I don’t need to explain how isolating this is. I’d like to have a couple of phone buddies who are in a similar situation for occasional chats. Does anybody know if this service exists?

Hi Andrea.

Internet search … DEMENTIA PHONE BUDDIES … will reveal many schemes … some local , some nationwide.

A case of sorting out the likely candidates to match your requirements ?

Perhaps the addition of a key word to said search to narrow down the field ?

Internet wise … SKYPE … adds that personal and togetherness touch … and cheaper than that old dog and bone … especially
when nattering to friends / contacts overseas ?

I am in the process of setting this service up via our social worker. It may be worth trying that route if you don’t have luck with the internet.

Hi Andrea,

Can I just check that you know all about the possible benefits?

Attendance Allowance (over 65)
Exemption from Council Tax due to Severe Mental Impairment? (Can be backdated to day of diagnosis).

Have you had a Carers Assessment from Social Services?
Has your husband had a Needs Assessment from them?
Do you have Power of Attorney?

Andrea my local Carers Group provides a phone befriender service. Sadly over the last 7 years, 1 moved and one is not well so do not have one at the moment but hopefully will soon. Both of my friends had been carers themselves and I could not praise them enough - non judgemental and a friendly voice every couple of weeks. You may have a local Carers Group whom you could contact?