Pension Credit - Charities that pay for care?

Hey everyone,

I was trying to help one of my carees out today with their transition onto state pension. I noticed on the government calculator, in the section about non-dependent living with the claimant that this is one of the options…

“living with you or your partner and paid by a charity to be there (or is the partner of the person paid to live with you)”

I was like “wait, there are charities that pay people to live with someone?”…I’ve not heard of this before, so I’m wondering if anyone else has? Doesn’t most paid care come from the NHS or local authorities? What is it that makes a charity funded carer more valid than an LA funded one?

Also does this option include people (cares) who are paid through CHC or DP’s to live with the claimant?

Struck me as so odd, so I thought I’d ask if anyone here had experience with this option?



that does sound intriguing - one for the helpline or Citizen’s Advice Bureau to check out.

I will bring your post to the advice team’s attention.


I have heard in the past of there being Community Service volunteers, rather like VSO, no idea where to find anyone now!

There are a very few charities out there that pay for care. Often they are what used to be Convalescent Homes charities that provided breaks in convalescent homes for working people through membership fees, originating in the days before the NHS and social care were around.

Most have gone now. But a few charities do provide this sort of support, usually on a short term basis - some unions, for example, may still be offering this sort of thing. It’s very rare nowadays.


Thanks for posting about this. I’ve passed it onto one of our helpline advisers and should be able to post a response in this topic in the next few days.

Wishing you well


Hello AJ

Below is a response from one of our helpline advisers to the question you posted a few weeks ago. I’m sorry it’s taken quite a while to respond.


Thank you for your message.

You are right that most paid care comes from local authorities or NHS funding streams following an assessment of need, which identifies what support is required and also a financial assessment, to assess what contribution, if any, is required.

However, some funding for care can also come from charitable grants. These situations arise where the service user is only entitled to a certain amount in their personal budget and perhaps they sought charitable funding to use as a top up.

Or, it maybe that the service user is not entitled to financial support from the local authority and they have sought charitable grants to help pay for care.

Best wishes
Carers UK