Newbie here

I’ve just heard about this website and am quite new to caring. I’ve had to give up work to look after a teenager with multiple, complex and rare health conditions. We’re trying to find our way around mobility and living aids, we’ve had a great OT luckily. Having to advocate with doctors who don’t understand their conditions is difficult especially when you’re just trying to keep your child alive at a time when they should be finding their independence. As a family we are existing rather than living and is really draining.

Hi Ploddingalong,

welcome to the forum. It is harder when they get to teens. Friend’s teenager’s are becoming more independent and the parents are getting more freedom too. Not so for us and our young people.

Melly1

Hello Ploddingalong

Welcome to our forum, I’m not sure if you are aware but we are running several online zoom sessions for carers. We’re running a weekly care for a cuppa session when carers come together once a week to support and share tips with each other, its a great opportunity to meet other carers and chat to each other. There’s no pressure to share anything you’re not happy to. We’re also run some fun online activities called Share and Learn ranging from singing to informative talks.

Please have a look at the attached link, this will take you to our meetups page. We would love to see you there.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/online-meetups

with kind regards
Ingrid