New to the Forum

Hi all,
I’ve suddenly become the carer for my husband who is still in hospital having suffered two strokes in the last four months. We are reaching the point of sorting out his ongoing care, which will be 24/7. Can anyone offer me any advice about having him at or finding a nursing home? I can see pros and cons for both cases.
Thank you.
Jane

Welcome to the forum.

Who has said he needs 24/7 care? Do you have it in writing, email?
In theory, if the hospital have said this, then they should first arrange an “NHS Continuing Healthcare Checklist Assessment” and then a full assessment. Tell them, in writing or email, that you want this done asap.

It’s a big subject, start by looking at the “NHS Continuing Healthcare Framework” on Google.
If you can afford it, download the relevant sections, put them in a binder, arm yourself with a highlighter pen, and start going through it.
If you qualify, care is free. If not, it will be about £1,000+ per week, until your joint savings go below £46,000.
It’s very much a postcode lottery.

CHC is only available for some nursing homes, so you have to get the assessment done before finalising a home.
If you like your current home and can afford to stay there, then find the nursing home nearest to you.
The Care Quality Commission will have details of all the homes in the area.

Hi Jane,

I’m sorry to hear about your husband and the difficult decisions you are having to make right now.
If you are having to become a carer to your husband in some capacity, Carers UK can provide some information relating to:
Benefits and financial support
Your rights as a carer in the workplace
Carers’ assessments and how to get support in your caring role
Services available to carers and the people you care for
How to complain effectively and challenge decisions

Our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email advice@carersuk.org

Best wishes,

Lucy.

Jane,
I forgot to ask earlier, how old are you and your husband?