New to the Caring world of Benefits

Hi Everyone ,
i am new to the caring world , all though i have been caring for my daughter who has severe bi polar , ptsd and has suicidal tendencies but i never claimed carer as i didn’t want to affect her benefits ., now my hubby has just gone on to P.I.P and has finally got his decision through, after 8 months of waiting , i have made a claim for carers allowance for him , but my question is … is there anything else i can/could claim or get a discount on that i have not been told about please , it appears that UC people are not very helpful when it comes to keeping you updated on what you can or can not claim .

Any help would be highly appreciated

Marie

Hello Marie

I would suggest you contact our Helpline and ask their advice on this matter. They can be contacted on our Telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm or you can contact us by email (advice@carersuk.org)

Also Marie, we are also now running a weekly Share and Learn sessions, where we run a series of fun and relaxed online sessions where visiting speakers who share tips and skills on a range of topics - please have a look at the link and see if one grabs your attention.
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic … e-sessions

Do join if you’d like to, we’ve had a lot of new carers join the sessions recently and it’s a great way to meet other carers.
There is also Carers UK’s helpline should you need advice or support -

with best wishes
Ingrid

Hello Marie

I have sent you a private message from our Helpline, please check your inbox.

many thanks
Ingrid

How much care does your husband need?
Are you getting any support from Social Services?
Do you have a dishwasher and a tumble dryer?
How much work does your garden need?
Have you streamlined the house as much as possible?
I was nearly killed in a car accident, didn’t really want anyone in the house to help me, as long as I had my dishwasher and tumble dryer to help me. My sons always looked after the garden, but insisted I got rid of all the borders. A flat lawn might not be pretty, but I have lots of pots on my patio that I can look after instead. Wish I’d done it years ago!