Need help on using carersuk

I am an 81 year old carer, caring for my wife who has end COPD, vascular dementia and unable to walk very far.
I need help in using this site, I am not sure how to set up a username and what to do after that, hope you can put me in the right direction.
Thanks Jim Kirkbride

Hi James, welcome to the forum.
One of our moderators will guide you through the process.
As your wife has dementia, I just wanted to check that you are claiming Attendance Allowance for her?
Did you know that she has also been EXEMPT from Council Tax since she developed the condition? It’s easy to claim, the council send you a form for you to give details of the GP, who they then contact. This can be BACKDATED. The highest refund I’ve heard of was £8,000!

Hello James

Changing your username is easy :slight_smile:

It’s a good idea to use an alias for your username (as opposed to your real name) for confidentiality and security reasons.

Here’s how to do it on the Carers UK forum:

1. Click on your name in the red box top right hand side of the page and choose “User Control Panel” - this is where you can change the default settings to your preferences.

2. You will be taken to a new page, click on the on the ‘Profile’ tab and then click on ‘Edit Account Settings’ (you’ll find it in the column on the left-hand side).

3. Type your new username into the text box and/or your new password into the relevant text boxes.

4. Click submit.

If you have any problems, you can PM a moderator or email a staff member at > forum@carersuk.org

Thanks for your help, not sure who I am replying to, both posts have been useful, my wife has vascular dementia , does that count for the council tax reduction?

Yes. It is an exemption, so not means tested.
When you apply, dementia comes under the category of “severe mental impairment” ( a term I hate!)
This can also covers things like strokes too, depending on the after effects.
Please pass this on to friends, it’s one of the “best kept secrets” that no one seems to mention! That’s why I now routinely ask anyone if they know about it.
I met a couple when I was on holiday in Majorca who were going to get thousands back, the husband had a stroke years ago, clearly needed a lot of support, yet no one had ever told them.
Hospitals really ought to help people just by giving them a “did you know” type leaflet.