Need financial advice

Having to give up work to look after elderly parents, I am 64 female, any info what i can claim

Welcome to the forum. Giving up work early is a difficult decision.

The answer to your question, and the advice we can give you, depends on these basic questions.
Do your parents own or rent their house?
Have you parents asked for help from Health or Social Services?
Are they both claiming Attendance Allowance?
Physically or mentally frail?
Do they have over £46,000 in savings? Yes/No is fine.
Is there currently a crisis?

Hi @amj0505

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you start with a benefits calculator eg

Also, could you reduce your hours rather than give up work? It’s not easy surviving on benefits, unless you have a work/private pension you could draw on early.

At 64 I’m presuming you haven’t yet started to claim your State Pension ? That being the case and providing you meet other eligibility criteria you should be able to claim Carers Allowance until you do start to claim your State Pension. (Carers Allowance and State Pension are considered “overlapping” benefits so you can’t claim both).

Carers UK’s factsheet gives all the details

Have you looked into Attendance Allowance for one or both of your parents ?

This is a non-taxable benefit and can be used to pay for a variety of things - my Mum used to pay me from hers for “chauffeuring” duties and towards the cost of running my car (mainly for her benefit). It can also be used to pay a cleaner or gardener for example.

Additionally Carers UK has an excellent Adviceline who can give you confidential benefits advice

Our telephone Helpline is available on 0808 808 7777 from Monday to Friday, 9am – 6pm (excluding Bank Holidays) or you can contact us by email (

If you have a more complex query, we suggest you email us, as we’ll be able to provide more information.

Good luck. A benefits advisor might be able to assist.