Need advice

Hi I’m new to the forum and would like some advice.

I’ve been an unpaid, live in carer for my elderly grandmother for the past 5 years. After numerous of my nans health workers telling me that I should be getting CA and other benefits I finally have started applying. The problem is I haven’t technically been living there for the past 5 years. I’m worried that if I start applying, my nan will be fined for having me living there whilst receiving council tax reductions, I’ve been severely depressed for a long time and in all honestly that has been the last thing on my mind. Any advice on what I can do in my situation and how I would put myself down as living at that address as I am completely useless at anything like this. Thankyou for taking the time to read this

You don’t have to live with someone in order to claim Carers Allowance.
I suggest you contact our Carers UK helpline to discuss your situation. I’m dismayed that you have been caring for such a long time without any income.

Ok thankyou, I will give the helpline a call. I’ve never really cared about receiving anything for looking after her, she’s kept me fed and bought me clothes when needed but with the cost of living this year it’s becoming more of a struggle. Been in a pretty rubbish place for a while and haven’t really cared about much apart from keeping my nan ok

It’s VERY important when caring for an elderly relative that you make a life plan for when the caring ends.
Also important that your caree makes provision for you if you have devoted many years to caring for them.
Do you have Power of Attorney?

Does nan own or rent her home?
If she owns her home then needs residential care later, you are in a very difficult position.
If she gives you a share of the house now, in recognition of the love and care you have given her, should she need care at a later date, the value of the house might be totally disregarded.
You need to take professional advice from a solicitor about this.

Do you have any qualifications for work after caring?
There are so many courses you can do online now.
I realised that one day I wouldn’t be able to care for my disabled son any more, so I did a part time degree course, and now have an Honours degree in Business Studies.
At the time my husband thought it was something I would never use, but then he was made redundant and started his own business, which we ran together. He died when I was 54. I ran the business on my own for many years. 30 TONS of lorry spares to sell.
None of us know what life has in store for us, but please look after yourself as well as nan. Your life and health are just as important as nan’s.