Narcissistic Mother (parent) and how to get help

I honestly didn’t know what this was until a few months back. I’ve been dealing with this nasty mother who pretends to everyone that she does and loves her child but she does all of these things for show for people rock praise her and boost her ego. She’s always bullied me and called me the nastiest names whilst I was a child and teenager, even to this day at 23 she does it but I don’t let it get to me, and I stand up for myself.

I’m just full with anger, no one understands what this is like because Narcissistic Personality Disorder is not seen by people who don’t have to live with a person who has it, and it’s honestly the worst.

I feel like there needs to be some kind of support group for those who have a narcissistic parent/s, because you can’t deal with this talking to people who have no insight on what it’s really like, unless you talk to those who are in similar situations.

Have you asked for counselling or not?

See if your GP can refer you to community mental health services.

Hi Karisse,
Welcome to the forum.

It’s been a very long day and mental health isn’t something I have a lot of knowledge about, but didn’t want to not reply.

The charity MIND has info on this https://www.mind.org.uk/search-results?q=Narcissist which might be of help to you.

Melly1

Do you live with mum?
If you have a mobile phone, then record her being really unpleasant to you, and then play it back to her GP, or ask for some counselling so you can show what you have to put up with.
I really hate parents being so horrible to their children, that is not what a parent is supposed to do. You aren’t the failure or horrible, she is.

I am in the exact same position and really struggling to cope with my mother. I’m trying to access support through gp several times… But nothing has occurred.

I feel like I’m stuck in a huge vicious cycle and no matter what I try to do it will never be right.

No, you will never please her, so stop trying. Read up about coercive control. Its nasty when someone constantly runs you down, someone in the family was like this. Set your own goals, one of which should be to move out and make a happy life for yourself, before it’s too late.