My husband passed away last month, I need financial support

I am a university student and I have 2 children. My husband was supporting the family financially and we have missed it now. Where can I go to speak about any available support for international students?

Hello & welcome Mahboobeh

Condolences for the loss of your husband.

Your University should be able to offer you support and sign post to organisations that can assist you.

What ages are your children? You could also speak to your children’s schools.

Google search …

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice

Thanks
They are 2/5 and 11

You could try a benefits calculator and/or make a visit to a local Citizens Advice.

There is plenty of support it’s just knowing where to find it.

How are you and your children since their father passed.

Hi Mahboobeh

How are you and did you manage to get any help?

I looked after both my parents in our family home since 2000. My mum passed in 2003, she needed constant care which I shared with my dad. He passed in 2017 and two years before he died I approached my sister who was dealing with his will because I was anxious about what would happen when he died. He wanted to change his will because he wanted to safeguard my tenancy at home and stop my sister throwing me out once he had gone.

I took him to the doctor’s to get his OK to write a new will as per solicitor’s instructions but because of his dementia the doctor refused.

I have since had trouble with my sister threatening to evict me unless I pay her her share of the property even though she lives in a £2m house in the Surrey Hills with a swimming pool inside! I cannot afford to do this as I had promised mum to gift her grandchildren money once dad passed and don’t have the funds to stay here. It is a small bungalow where I lived with them and was born here. She won’t accept any less than what she is entitled to having written my parent’s wills herself with the collusion of a solicitor.

Solicitors have tried certain tacks, Inheritance Law Provision and Estoppel but these are low success strategies without going to court which would take all my money. My sister has been particularly intimidating through her solicitor saying I was only a freeloader here and never really cared for my parents etc etc even though I was able to claim Carer’s Allowance for most of this time because of their delicate conditions.

I also worked part-time when I could to help with our joint income and cashed in my small pension to help with the day to day expenses.

My sister wants to send me off with my tail between my legs so I will agree to what she wrote in their wills. They were unhappy with this. I have naturally put Caveats on dad’s will because he wanted to leave the property to me but was unable to make this legal. Once probate is completed only nine months is allowed to contest the will.

During lockdown I had to isolate away from home because of a long-running health issue and I had caught Covid myself. During this period my sister entered my home and took documents and proof that I had spent money working to improve the property and a solicitor’s letter stating his reservations with their wills because they were done for Inheritance Tax purposes only without any other provisions.

I have until January when the Caveat expires to make a decision legally but don’t see leaving here an option because I do not have the finances to do this and live anything but a minimum life.

I am nearly 71, have limited income opportunities and health issues myself.

Hello,
What an awful situation. I don’t see that you have any option but to consult a solicitor again.
If your sister took a solicitor’s letter expressing doubts about the wills, can you contact that solicitor again and get a copy of it? Why would she take these documents if she were not afraid of their effect? I understand that you can’t afford a court case you are not certain to win (although perhaps likely to win), but I think you need to talk your situation over again with a lawyer. I hope you can stay where you are.