My boyfriend has severe panic attacks

Hello,
My name is Heidi and recently my boyfriend (C age 26) has been suffering severe panic attacks. We have seen the doctor and been given some short term medication while awaiting a referral to see a physiatrist. This evening was the worst so far and after he fell asleep following the attack it suddenly hit me and I burst into tears. I can’t talk to him about it because he already feels guilty and thinks himself a burden. I just don’t have anyone else in my family to confide in as they will think I can’t look after him and I don’t want to lose him. I just need someone to talk to who is going through the same thing and would understand. Any advice and feedback would be welcome

(Name of caree removed to protect identity. Moderator)

Hi Heidi
No one will think badly of you for caring about him and for him. Your family and friends should support you. They may be concerned for you, but that is a natural reaction.
You will benefit from sharing your feelings so please don’t dismiss or block out family and friends. This could be a long haul and you will need them.

Meanwhile check out the Mind and Rethink websites which have much advice for carers.

Also make sure your boyfriend , and you, know that the Samaraitans are there 24/7 to talk to someone.

Here in the forum often there’s no one on line
Hope this helps a little
Kr
MrsA

Hi Heidi and welcome,

I don’t have experience of supporting anyone with severe panic attacks, but you can read about how to do this here https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/for-friends-family/?o=10282#.XQgY8fZFxEY

I’m sure others will be along with further suggestions.

Melly1